I knew my psychiatrist, Dr. Goldberg M.D. was fantastic at his job after more or less rescuing me from one of the darkest periods of my life.
What I didn’t realize is that nearly everyone else in the bipolar-focused psych business feels likewise. After randomly finding several articles he penned from WebMd I decided to dig a little deeper into his background and was BLOWN AWAY by his vast number of peer accolades, patient reviews, professional awards, education, and ancillary work outside the comfort of his modest office in not-so-great Norwalk, CT.
So if you find yourself with a bunch of time on your hands, have a look at his voluminous, show stopping resume. (And if you happen live near Norwalk, I’d be happy to make an intro if you’re in the market for someone new.
Thoroughness of Examination: EXCELLENT
Ability to Answer Questions: EXCELLENT
Provider Followups: EXCELLENT
Thoroughness of Examination: EXCELLENT
Amount of Time with Patient: EXCELLENT
Satisfaction with time spent during appointments:VERY POSITIVE
Provider’s Attitude: VERY POSITIVE
Education & Experience
College & Residency
New York Presbyterian Hospital – Cornell Campus
Residency , Psychiatry
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
Certifications & Licensure
American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
Certified in Psychiatry
NY State Medical License
Active through 2020
CT State Medical License
Active through 2020
Awards, Honors & Recognitions
America’s Top Doctors, 2014
Greenwich Magazine, 2014
Top Doctors: New York Metro Area, 2014
New York Magazine: Top Doctors, 2014
New York Magazine: Top Doctors, 2013
- Overdiagnosis of bipolar disorder among substance use disorder inpatients with mood instability.Goldberg, J. F.,Garno, J. L.,Callahan, A. M.,Kearns, D. L.,Kerner, B.,Ackerman, S. H.
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors revisited: what you should know.Goldberg, J. F.,Thase, M. E.
- Expanding the bipolar construct while preserving its diagnostic integrity: are we keeping the baby or the bathwater?Goldberg, J. F.
- Differential diagnosis of bipolar disorder.Goldberg, J. F.
- Depressive illness burden associated with complex polypharmacy in patients with bipolar disorder: findings from the STEP-BD.Goldberg, J. F.,Brooks, J. O.,Kurita, K.,Hoblyn, J. C.,Ghaemi, S. N.,Perlis, R. H.,Miklowitz, D. J.,Ketter, T. A.,Sachs, G. S.,Thase, M. E.
- Is there life after diagnostic death?Goldberg, J. F.
- Differential Diagnosis of Major Depressive Disorder Versus Bipolar Disorder: Current Status and Best Clinical Practices.McIntyre, R. S.,Zimmerman, M.,Goldberg, J. F.,First, M. B.
- Clinical versus statistical significance of pharmacogenomic-guided antidepressant therapy: What’s really being measured and marketed?Goldberg, J. F.,Rosenblat, J. D.,McIntyre, R. S.,Preskorn, S. H.,de Leon, J.
- When Further Pharmacotherapy Seems Futile.Goldberg, J. F.
- Revising Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition, criteria for the bipolar disorders: Phase I of the AREDOC project.Parker, G.,Tavella, G.,Macqueen, G.,Berk, M.,Grunze, H.,Deckersbach, T.,Dunner, D. L.,Sajatovic, M.,Amsterdam, J. D.,Ketter, T. A.,Yatham, L. N.,Kessing, L. V.,Bassett, D.,Zimmerman, M.,Fountoulakis, K. N.,Duffy, A.,Alda, M.,Calkin, C.,Sharma, V.,Anand, A.,Singh, M. K.,Hajek, T.,Boyce, P.,Frey, B. N.,Castle, D. J.,Young, A. H.,Vieta, E.,Rybakowski, J. K.,Swartz, H. A.,Schaffer, A.,Murray, G.,Bayes, A.,Lam, R. W.,Bora, E.,Post, R. M.,Ostacher, M. J.,Lafer, B.,Cleare, A. J.,Burdick, K. E.,O’Donovan, C.,Ortiz, A.,Henry, C.,Kanba, S.,Rosenblat, J. D.,Parikh, S. V.,Bond, D. J.,Grunebaum, M. F.,Frangou, S.,Goldberg, J. F.,Orum, M.,Osser, D. N.,Frye, M. A.,McIntyre, R. S.,Fagiolini, A.,Manicavasagar, V.,Carlson, G. A.,Malhi, G. S.
- Should we reserve big gun antimanic drugs for only big gun manias?Goldberg, J. F.
- Do You Order Pharmacogenetic Testing? Why?Goldberg, J. F.
- Addressing the unmet needs of current antidepressants: does neuroscience help or hinder clinical psychopharmacology research?Goldberg, J. F., Rush, A. J.
- That which we call a mood stabilizer: What’s in a name?Goldberg, J. F.
- Guidelines for the recognition and management of mixed depression.Stahl, S. M., Morrissette, D. A., Faedda, G. L., Fava, M., Goldberg, J. F., Keck, P. E., Lee, Y., Malhi, G. S., Marangoni, C., McElroy, S. L., Ostacher, M. J., Rosenblat, J. D., Solé, E., Suppes, T., Takeshima, M., Thase, M. E., Vieta, E., Young, A. H., Zimmerman, M., McIntyre, R. S.
- Remission and recovery associated with lurasidone in the treatment of major depressive disorder with subthreshold hypomanic symptoms (mixed features): post-hoc analysis of a randomized, placebo-controlled study with longer-term extension.Goldberg, J. F., Ng-Mak, D., Siu, C., Chuang, C., Rajagopalan, K., Loebel, A.
- What to Do When Your Depressed Patient Develops Mania.Goldberg, J. F.,Ernst, C. L.
- Effects of aripiprazole on the QTc: a case report.Karz, A. J., McGonigle, D. P., Goldberg, J. F., Kellner, C. H., Calenda, B. S.
- THE AMERICAN SOCIETY OF CLINICAL PSYCHOPHARMACOLOGY SURVEY OF PSYCHOPHARMACOLOGISTS’ PRACTICE PATTERNS FOR THE TREATMENT OF MOOD DISORDERS.Goldberg JF, Freeman MP, Balon R, Citrome L, Thase ME, Kane JM, Fava M
- Assessing cognitive function in bipolar disorder: challenges and recommendations for clinical trial design.Burdick, K. E., Ketter, T. A., Goldberg, J. F., Calabrese, J. R.
- Mixed depression: a farewell to differential diagnosis?Goldberg, J. F.
- What should ICD-11 do that DSM-5 did not?Goldberg, J. F.
- Somatic treatments for severe bipolar disorder.Kellner, C. H., Goldberg, J. F., Briggs, M. C., Liebman, L. S., Ahle, G. M.
- Placing transdermal selegiline for major depressive disorder into clinical context: number needed to treat, number needed to harm, and likelihood to be helped or harmed.Citrome, L., Goldberg, J. F., Portland, K. B.
- Clinician-rated versus self-rated screening for bipolar disorder among inpatients with mood symptoms and substance misuse.Goldberg, J. F., Garakani, A., Ackerman, S. H.
- A preliminary open trial of nefazodone added to mood stabilizers for bipolar depression.Goldberg, J. F.
- Lowering the diagnostic threshold for bipolar disorder: the wrong stuff?Goldberg, J. F.
- A case of akathisia after switching from branded to generic high-dose olanzapine.Goldberg, J. F.
- Antidepressant use and risk for suicide attempts in bipolar disorder.Goldberg JF
- Hypomania: hype or mania?Malhi, G. S., Chengappa, K. N., Gershon, S., Goldberg, J. F.
- Neurocognitive dysfunction and psychosocial outcome in patients with bipolar I disorder at 15-year follow-up.Burdick KE, Goldberg JF, Harrow M
- Safety and tolerability associated with second-generation antipsychotic polytherapy in bipolar disorder: findings from the Systematic Treatment Enhancement Program for Bipolar Disorder.Brooks, J. O., Goldberg, J. F., Ketter, T. A., Miklowitz, D. J., Calabrese, J. R., Bowden, C. L., Thase, M. E.
- Ruling in and ruling out ‘caseness’ in the bipolar spectrum: implications for initial screening.Goldberg, J. F.
- Do we need to flick the switch? The need for a broader conceptualization of iatrogenic course aggravation in clinical trials of bipolar disorder.Berk M, Ng F, Dodd S, Goldberg JF, Malhi GS
- The International Society for Bipolar Disorders-Battery for Assessment of Neurocognition (ISBD-BANC).Yatham, L. N., Torres, I. J., Malhi, G. S., Frangou, S., Glahn, D. C., Bearden, C. E., Burdick, K. E., Martínez-Arán, A., Dittmann, S., Goldberg, J. F., Ozerdem, A., Aydemir, O., Chengappa, K. N.
- Substance abuse and switch from depression to mania in bipolar disorder.Goldberg, J. F.
- The modern pharmacopoeia: a return to depressive realism?Goldberg, J. F.
- Depressive relapse during lithium treatment associated with increased serum thyroid-stimulating hormone: results from two placebo-controlled bipolar I maintenance studies.Frye MA, Yatham L, Ketter TA, Goldberg J, Suppes T, Calabrese JR, Bowden CL, Bourne E, Bahn RS, Adams B
- Age at onset of bipolar disorder and risk for comorbid borderline personality disorder.Goldberg, J. F., Garno, J. L.
- Whither the academic psychiatrist?Goldberg JF
- Antidepressant prescribing and rapid cycling.Goldberg, J. F.
- On being bipolar without being bipolar.Goldberg, J. F.
- Optimizing treatment outcomes in bipolar disorder under ordinary conditions.Goldberg, J. F.
- Increased rate of non-right-handedness in patients with bipolar disorder.Nowakowska C, Sachs GS, Zarate CA, Marangell LB, Calabrese JR, Goldberg JF, Ketter TA
- What constitutes evidence-based pharmacotherapy for bipolar disorder? Part 2: complex presentations and clinical context.Goldberg, J. F.
- Dysfunctional attitudes and cognitive schemas in bipolar manic and unipolar depressed outpatients: implications for cognitively based psychotherapeutics.Goldberg, J. F., Gerstein, R. K., Wenze, S. J., Welker, T. M., Beck, A. T.
- What constitutes evidence-based pharmacotherapy for bipolar disorder? Part 1: first-line treatments.Goldberg, J. F.
- Divalproex in the treatment of acute bipolar depression: a preliminary double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled pilot study.Ghaemi SN, Gilmer WS, Goldberg JF, Zablotsky B, Kemp DE, Kelley ME, Bauer AD, Fleck J, Filkowski MM, Stan VA, Dunn RT
- Self-reported history of manic/hypomanic switch associated with antidepressant use: data from the Systematic Treatment Enhancement Program for Bipolar Disorder (STEP-BD).Truman CJ, Goldberg JF, Ghaemi SN, Baldassano CF, Wisniewski SR, Dennehy EB, Thase ME, Sachs GS
- COMT genotype increases risk for bipolar I disorder and influences neurocognitive performance.Burdick, K. E., Funke, B., Goldberg, J. F., Bates, J. A., Jaeger, J., Kucherlapati, R., Malhotra, A. K.
- Predicting hospitalization versus discharge of suicidal patients presenting to a psychiatric emergency service.Goldberg, J. F., Ernst, C. L., Bird, S.
- Quetiapine in the treatment of acute mania: target dose for efficacious treatment.Vieta E, Goldberg JF, Mullen J, Vågerö M, Paulsson B
- Overweight and obesity in bipolar disorders.Wang PW, Sachs GS, Zarate CA, Marangell LB, Calabrese JR, Goldberg JF, Sagduyu K, Miyahara S, Ketter TA
- Recurrence in bipolar I disorder: a post hoc analysis excluding relapses in two double-blind maintenance studies.Calabrese, J. R., Goldberg, J. F., Ketter, T. A., Suppes, T., Frye, M. A., White, R., DeVeaugh-Geiss, A., Thompson, T. R.
- The prescription of psychotropic medications for patients discharged from a psychiatric emergency service.Ernst CL, Bird SA, Goldberg JF, Ghaemi SN
- Long-term remission and recovery in bipolar disorder: a review.Goldberg, J. F., Garno, J. L., Harrow, M.
- Subjective life satisfaction and objective functional outcome in bipolar and unipolar mood disorders: a longitudinal analysis.Goldberg JF, Harrow M
- Prevalence of bipolar symptoms in epilepsy vs other chronic health disorders.Ettinger, A. B., Reed, M. L., Goldberg, J. F., Hirschfeld, R. M.
- Development of posttraumatic stress disorder in adult bipolar patients with histories of severe childhood abuse.Goldberg, J. F., Garno, J. L.
- Commentary: bipolar disorder is a potentially fatal disease.Citrome, L., Goldberg, J. F.
- The many faces of bipolar disorder. How to tell them apart.Citrome, L., Goldberg, J. F.
- Bipolar disorder with comorbid cluster B personality disorder features: impact on suicidality.Garno JL, Goldberg JF, Ramirez PM, Ritzler BA
- Dimensions of impulsivity and aggression associated with suicide attempts among bipolar patients: a preliminary study.Michaelis, B. H., Goldberg, J. F., Davis, G. P., Singer, T. M., Garno, J. L., Wenze, S. J.
- Lamotrigine treatment of bipolar disorder: data from the first 500 patients in STEP-BD.Marangell LB, Martinez JM, Ketter TA, Bowden CL, Goldberg JF, Calabrese JR, Miyahara S, Miklowitz DJ, Sachs GS, Thase ME
- Clinical correlates of childhood and adolescent adjustment in adult patients with bipolar disorder.Goldberg JF, Ernst CL
- Preliminary randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of pramipexole added to mood stabilizers for treatment-resistant bipolar depression.Goldberg JF, Burdick KE, Endick CJ
- Antisuicide properties of psychotropic drugs: a critical review.Ernst CL, Goldberg JF
- Antidepressant properties of anticonvulsant drugs for bipolar disorder.Ernst CL, Goldberg JF
- Features associated with the delayed initiation of mood stabilizers at illness onset in bipolar disorder.Goldberg JF, Ernst CL
- Rash in multicenter trials of lamotrigine in mood disorders: clinical relevance and management.Calabrese JR, Sullivan JR, Bowden CL, Suppes T, Goldberg JF, Sachs GS, Shelton MD, Goodwin FK, Frye MA, Kusumakar V
- The association between substance abuse and antidepressant-induced mania in bipolar disorder: a preliminary study.Goldberg JF, Whiteside JE
- The impact of response to previous mood stabilizer therapy on response to olanzapine versus placebo for acute mania.Baker RW, Goldberg JF, Tohen M, Milton DR, Stauffer VL, Schuh LM
- Levetiracetam for acute mania.Goldberg JF, Burdick KE
- The reproductive safety profile of mood stabilizers, atypical antipsychotics, and broad-spectrum psychotropics.Ernst CL, Goldberg JF
- Citalopram as adjunctive therapy in bipolar depression.Kupfer DJ, Chengappa KN, Gelenberg AJ, Hirschfeld RM, Goldberg JF, Sachs GS, Grochocinski VJ, Houck PR, Kolar AB
- Risk for bipolar illness in patients initially hospitalized for unipolar depression.Goldberg JF, Harrow M, Whiteside JE
- Spontaneous depression versus biphasic cycling.Goldberg J
- Cognitive side effects of anticonvulsants.Goldberg JF, Burdick KE
- Suicidality and substance abuse in affective disorders.Goldberg JF, Singer TM, Garno JL
- Genetic and environmental influences on posttraumatic stress disorder, alcohol and drug dependence in twin pairs.Xian H, Chantarujikapong SI, Scherrer JF, Eisen SA, Lyons MJ, Goldberg J, Tsuang M, True WR
- Heritability of self-reported health.Romeis JC, Scherrer JF, Xian H, Eisen SA, Bucholz K, Heath AC, Goldberg J, Lyons MJ, Henderson WG, True WR
- Self-Reported zygosity and the equal-environments assumption for psychiatric disorders in the Vietnam Era Twin Registry.Xian H, Scherrer JF, Eisen SA, True WR, Heath AC, Goldberg J, Lyons MJ, Tsuang MT
- Low-dose lithium augmentation of divalproex in geriatric mania.Goldberg JF, Sacks MH, Kocsis JH
- Thought disorder in schizophrenia and mania: impaired context.Harrow M, Green KE, Sands JR, Jobe TH, Goldberg JF, Kaplan KJ, Martin EM
- Evidence for genetic influences common and specific to symptoms of generalized anxiety and panic.Scherrer JF, True WR, Xian H, Lyons MJ, Eisen SA, Goldberg J, Lin N, Tsuang MT
- Qualitative differences in manic symptoms during mixed versus pure mania.Goldberg JF, Garno JL, Portera L, Leon AC, Kocsis JH
- Correlates of suicidal ideation in dysphoric mania.Goldberg JF, Garno JL, Portera L, Leon AC, Kocsis JH, Whiteside JE
- A history of substance abuse complicates remission from acute mania in bipolar disorder.Goldberg JF, Garno JL, Leon AC, Kocsis JH, Portera L
- The impact of sociodemographics, comorbidity and symptom recency on health-related quality of life in alcoholics.Romeis JC, Waterman B, Scherrer JF, Goldberg J, Eisen SA, Heath AC, Bucholz KK, Slutske WS, Lyons MJ, Tsuang MT, True WR
- Interrelationship of genetic and environmental influences on conduct disorder and alcohol and marijuana dependence symptoms.True WR, Heath AC, Scherrer JF, Xian H, Lin N, Eisen SA, Lyons MJ, Goldberg J, Tsuang MT
- The heritability of alcoholism symptoms: “indicators of genetic and environmental influence in alcohol-dependent individuals” revisited.Slutske WS, True WR, Scherrer JF, Heath AC, Bucholz KK, Eisen SA, Goldberg J, Lyons MJ, Tsuang MT
- Association of recurrent suicidal ideation with nonremission from acute mixed mania.Goldberg JF, Garno JL, Leon AC, Kocsis JH, Portera L
- Familial influences on gambling behavior: an analysis of 3359 twin pairs.Eisen SA, Lin N, Lyons MJ, Scherrer JF, Griffith K, True WR, Goldberg J, Tsuang MT
- Long-term reliability and validity of alcoholism diagnoses and symptoms in a large national telephone interview survey.Slutske WS, True WR, Scherrer JF, Goldberg J, Bucholz KK, Heath AC, Henderson WG, Eisen SA, Lyons MJ, Tsuang MT
- Course and outcome for schizophrenia versus other psychotic patients: a longitudinal study.Harrow M, Sands JR, Silverstein ML, Goldberg JF
- The influence of familial and non-familial factors on the association between major depression and substance abuse/dependence in 1874 monozygotic male twin pairs.Lin N, Eisen SA, Scherrer JF, Goldberg J, True WR, Lyons MJ, Tsuang MT
- Models of treatment seeking for alcoholism: the role of genes and environment.True WR, Heath AC, Bucholz K, Slutske W, Romeis JC, Scherrer JF, Lin N, Eisen SA, Goldberg J, Lyons MJ, Tsuang MT
- The association of antisocial personality symptoms with marijuana abuse/dependence. A monozygotic co-twin control study.Scherrer JF, Lin N, Eisen SA, Goldberg J, True WR, Lyons MJ, Tsuang MT
- Lithium treatment of bipolar affective disorders under naturalistic followup conditions.Goldberg JF, Harrow M, Leon AC
- Attenuation of response to serotonin reuptake inhibitors.Goldberg JF, Sacks MH, Kocsis JH
- Course and outcome in bipolar affective disorder: a longitudinal follow-up study.Goldberg JF, Harrow M, Grossman LS
- Kindling in bipolar disorders: a longitudinal follow-up study.Goldberg JF, Harrow M
- Outcome of schizoaffective disorder at two long-term follow-ups: comparisons with outcome of schizophrenia and affective disorders.Grossman LS, Harrow M, Goldberg JF, Fichtner CG
- Rapid cycling in unipolar and bipolar affective disorders. Wolpert EA, Goldberg JF, Harrow M
- Cyclothymic mood swings in the course of affective disorders and schizophrenia. Fichtner CG, Grossman LS, Harrow M, Goldberg JF, Klein DN
- Sensory deprivation on an eye service. Its significance and management. FILANTE W, GOLDBERG J, JONES H, ZISKIND
- Observations on mental symptoms in eye patched patients: hypnagogic symptoms in sensory deprivation.n ZISKIND E, JONES H, FILANTE W, GOLDBERG